Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Alcohol Free = greater fertility and healthy baby

.
The hardest thing that I had to do after our naturopath appointment was to give up alcohol.

I love wine, particularly red wine. Never in excess, but consistently throughout the week. A glass with a meal, or a glass after work, or out with friends.

One of the many things my partner and I first connected on, was our love of good wine. He introduced me to really good wine and improved my palate no end! I loved it! Being in the winemaking business, he occasionally comes home with some incredible bottle of wine that a customer has given him and has so much knowledge about what is good out there in the Australian wine industry.

So it was a toughie, but surprisingly just for the first few days. I am absolutely fine with it now, just a week and a half later. D has joined me on the no alcohol adventure, not just for support, but also because it is healthy for his "spermies"!

And, to the rescue once more, he went out and bought me 'alcohol removed' wine. Just a glass of that every now and then has helped to reduce the "awww" face when I felt like a good glass of red! And when we entertained at home last Saturday night, I was able to have a glass in front of me without anyone being any wiser that I am now alcohol free!

There is so much information on the web about how being alcohol free improves your fertility. One website claimed that studies show a 50% improvement in conception when women give up alcohol. This in itself is enough to say "no"!

But the most shocking bit of information is how even just one glass of alcohol can cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrome . Queen Naturopath first gave us this knowledge and it scared the bejesus out of me. Since then, I have read about it in many reputable websites. I had always heard that a glass every now and then was fine. But even just one glass, particularly in the first trimester can bring on this disorder.

So, it's a no brainer! No alcohol for this Mum To Be!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment