In the process of searching for info on HSG Scans, I came across a great little blog by a woman also tracking her road to conception. I was so excited! Yea, another person blogging about this. Through her links, I came across another and another and another!
I had begun to think that were very few women blogging about trying to conceive. I was wrong! All of these women though, are much further along the track than we are, having begun the road of IUI, IVFs, clomid etc.
We are still hoping to do this naturally. The fertility clinic is at this stage, our way of finding out if everything is working as it should be. We would have taken clomid had the GYN recommended it, however, that didn’t happen (see below).
This all got me thinking about our journey so far and I realised I wanted to do a summary of what has happened. Initially I wrote it as a conversation, but that ended up too long! So a change of tack is in order...
May 2009 – Abandoned contraception!
July 2009 – Went to our naturopath to begin the natural fertility path.
The summary of the first few appointments:
· Queen Naturo sent us for blood and saliva tests, testing for many many things including all the necessary hormones. She began a regime of herbs and vitamins for both of us.
· A series of results show my hormones are all over the place and need much balancing. Tests were done for FSH, LH, P4, E2, E1, P4:E2, testosterone.
· Very soon, PCOS is suspected and herbal treatment for this starts.
- Began using Maybe Baby to determine ovulation.
September 2009 – Started acupuncture treatments.
Between the two of them – the team of Queen Naturo and King Acupunc - they have a 100% strike rate with all their patients achieving pregnancy, including those that have been through several rounds of IVF. All accept one, achieved conception within one year. Amazing stats!
August 2009 – Began seeing the doctor for help.
· Because of my age, she didn’t want to wait a year and immediately sent me off for more hormone tests and after those results came in, she referred me to the fertility clinic.
· All tests indicated that I was not ovulating.
November 2009 – First appointment at the fertility clinic.
· Blood tests, sperm tests and pelvic ultrasound scheduled. Clomid will be prescribed if tests confirm no ovulation.
December 2009 – Second appointment at fertility clinic.
· Results of tests seem to indicate that I am ovulating now (which I believe is a result of the herbs I am taking and the acupuncture). GYN does not want to put me on clomid. I have felt myself, some signs of ovulation for the first time in months.
· Egg count is high.
· All hormones are within acceptable ranges.
· The pelvic ultrasound has some unusual abnormalities which she is not looking any further at. What the…??? From what the doctor said and showed me during my scan, I suspect that what she is seeing is my PCOS healing from my herbal treatments.
· Other test results are good and she is beginning to think I may end up with a diagnosis of unexplained infertility.
· D results are all good.
She schedules two more cycles testing for ovulation (progesterone) plus an HSG scan.
December 2009 – Queen Naturo sends me off for blood tests to test my homocysteine levels and find out what levels of B12 and folic acid MY body needs.
December, 2009 – I’m unable to get all the GYN fertility tests done due to Christmas and will need to postpone everything a month.
January, 2010 – I find out my homocysteine levels are out of whack and Queen Naturo reassesses all that I am taking and ensures that I have exactly the right amount of each vitamin every day.
February, 2010 – have my HSG scan.
· Find out my results in March after one more progesterone test. Either my tubes were blocked or my muscles were severely spasming. Test was VERY painful. Took several days to fully recover.
Thats it so far!