Friday, November 20, 2009

A minor trial!

Gosh, it was hard last night after the concert.  D took me out for dinner and I SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO wanted a glass of wine.

Instead a glass of lemonade, a beautiful meal and I came home to an icecream and a glass of de-alcoholised wine.  The craving was over!

I so enjoy and appreciate wine, and after a long week, it would have been the perfect way to relax and unwind.  But there is absolutely no way I am risking any chance of damage to a possible child of mine!

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is becoming more and more recognised.  And both our naturopath and acupuncturist are VERY passionate about it's reality and NO alcohol being drunk during pregnancy.  Fortunately this was a decision I had already come to before even seeing them for fertility.

I didn't realise the extent of it though, until they passed on the research they have about it.  After reading that, not even half a glass will pass through my lips.  Gosh, it will be a hard 9 months!!  :):) 

Thank goodness for de-alcoholised wine is all I can say!

It’s strange really, the research of this syndrome.  Because down through the ages, alcohol has been consumed by pregnant mothers with no effects.  And yet, other times, the effects have been disastrous.  It makes you wonder why things seemed to have changed so much.

But nevermind, better to be safe than sorry – especially being over 40!  There are enough risks at it is!

newborn_brochure_sm_20593439_std

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I hear you on the no alcohol. I spent about 5 months of my pregnancy in New Zealand, like just about the best wine in the world and couldn't enjoy it! The baby was worth it though, So we just stocked up and brought as much of their wine back to Canada as we could carry Lol to celebrate with after the birth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, not New Zealand and no drinking. Oh no! That would have been AWFUL!!!!! :):) Glad you got to bring back as much as you could. What was your favourite?

    D is in the wine business and went to NZ this year to visit customers and the wineries. He came home with some beautiful wine - which I have gotten to taste every 4 weeks at the start of my cycle!

    You are so right though, baby is worth it. And soon enough,(I hope!) I can drink again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! As a former childbirth educator, I fully support disciplining your body BEFORE pregnancy. You’re a smart woman to begin practicing healthy habits NOW. Putting any questionable behavior on hold is a small sacrifice to pay for a healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete